About Me

My photo
working writer wending her way through the labyrinth that is self-publishing

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Diets be damned


frus·tra·tion
frəˈstrāSH(ə)n/
noun
  1. the feeling of being upset or annoyed, especially because of inability to change or achieve something.
    "I sometimes feel like screaming with frustration"
    synonyms:exasperationannoyanceangervexationirritationMore
    • an event or circumstance that causes one to have a feeling of frustration.
      plural noun: frustrations
      "the inherent frustrations of assembly line work"
    • the prevention of the progress, success, or fulfillment of something.
      "the frustration of their wishes"


More unwelcome news from a friend whose doctor has told her that cognitive function can be effected by alcohol and that she should stop drinking. My God! Help me! Do I buy into this or do I continue with my one glass of wine a night? My friend used the word 'poison' to describe alcohol. AARGH! Sometimes I wish I knew nothing about anything.

Life is narrowing down to a list of of should's and should-nots. And to go along with this I say we should do our own research or simply ignore it depending on what our own intuition and bodies tell us. Yes, I freaked out when other friends decided to go vegan because of the China study. I looked into that tome and found that I didn't agree with their premise and also read that their research was done with casein. My naturopath, a man I highly respect, has told me I need red meat. Without enough protein I get ocular migraines and low-blood sugar. I know, I know--just because someone else decides to follow a stringent, and to my mind, overly restricted diet, doesn't mean I have to. I don't believe that fat isn't good for us and I don't believe we were meant to go without meat. I know also that it would be better for the planet if we didn't eat meat, but my body says an emphatic NO to this idea. I wish I could say yes to it just as I wish  could stop all the fighting and everything bad happening around the world. We would much better off if we didn't use masses of land and water to raise beef cattle. But...

How do we function in a world where studies are thrust upon us one after the other? Where friends we love suddenly decide to give up this food or that based on something they read? I have seen too often how these new fads are debunked a year later. But when we hear about them we are immediately faced with what we're doing wrong--OMG I've been eating bacon! At least it's the kind without nitrates or nitrites I say, consoling myself.

I try really hard to steer clear of the newest dietary no no. I ask help from the universe in sorting through it all. I think of the people in Europe who eat what they want, drink at lunch and dinner and for the most part lead happy lives free of health concerns. Does anyone else think that our country's constant harping on cholesterol numbers are leading to neurosis?

But despite my efforts I do find myself lying in bed at night worrying...life is too short for all this nonsense! Can't we just LIVE and enjoy what time we have left on this planet?

2 comments:

  1. It's all nonsense, Nikki. Eat and drink in moderation and immoderately at Christmas. Death gets us all in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike--I know it is--but in this country harder to ignore!

      Delete