About Me

My photo
working writer wending her way through the labyrinth that is self-publishing

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Election freak-out and the aftermath...

Half the country is reeling from the election news--it wouldn't be quite as bad if the two houses of Congress hadn't stayed red...but it is interesting to note that Trump followers, the ones who wanted something new, voted them back in. And Mitch McConnell leads the pack. He's the one who said that their entire agenda for the past eight years was to block Obama--this was an incredible slap in the face to the people who elected Obama. I find the lack of courtesy and the hate mongering unbelievable right now--and especially coming from our elected officials--if the people who wanted Trump really wanted something different for the country they should have voted those old boys out! Most of them are older than dirt!

My feeling about it all is that the DNC and Debby Wasserman Shultz shot themselves in the foot when they decided to support Hillary over Bernie Sanders. Their lack of judgement about the mood of the country was ill-fated. Too many people in this country dislike her--and it is NOT only because she's a woman. There is history there that goes back over thirty years. She's a consummate politician and smart as a whip, and she's an insider. And that is exactly what people did not want this go round. I voted for her because I knew that if I didn't we'd have Trump--well, we have Trump anyway. What I'm trying to say is that maybe the dissing of Bernie and his many supporters during the primary was what lost the Dems the election--would Bernie have won over Trump? I have the sense that he would because the main thrust of this election was getting away from politics as usual. Although Bernie has been in the senate for many years he did not represent the political elite--his was a new vision that appealed to the common man--he was trying to make things better. What astounds me is that many of his supporters ending up voting for Trump. Why? The only reason I can come up with is that Trump is not a politician.

I was heartbroken when Bernie was ousted. Trump had no message and I knew Hillary's platform, and so I didn't listen to the debates. I sincerely hope that Trump will surprise us instead of bending to the will of the Republican party--already they are beginning to dismantle Obamacare. It wasn't a perfect system but it did allow people with pre-existing conditions to get healthcare and it also was great for children. If they don't replace it with a decent program this country could be in serious trouble. I worry about the poor and the disenfranchised--the people who slip through the cracks. Those cracks will be getting bigger if we don't stand up and vote the old boys out--hopefully the midterms will give us the chance to do so. Sad to think that so many of the poor are looking to Trump to fix their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment