About Me

My photo
working writer wending her way through the labyrinth that is self-publishing

Monday, January 3, 2011

more about editing...

As I walked my dogs in the woods this morning looking up at the unusual blue sky I began to think about  my post yesterday from the writer's perspective. As writers we must be willing to take some criticism. If we can't we're not ready for prime time. But we also need to keep our own vision and integrity. This can be difficult. It takes a while, I think, to let our baby go--to trust in ourselves enough that we let people make comments and take what fits and leave the rest. Criticism is always subjective and should be viewed as such. We all have our own style and way of saying what we do--our voice may be sarcastic, grieving, angry or joyful, but in the end it is OUR voice. If we wish to get published we have to buckle down and do the hard work but without giving up the truth of our own writing. It is always a matter of choice in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment