About Me

My photo
working writer wending her way through the labyrinth that is self-publishing

Thursday, May 10, 2012

back to work...

Taking a break from my bird-watching posts to bring those of you who are writers into my latest frustration. MARKETING. That simple word strikes terror into the hearts of the most accomplished writers. And I am not one of those so imagine what it does to me?

I downloaded "7 Secrets of Successful Self Published Authors" by Keith Ogerek, which in itself was interesting endeavor that I won't bore you with. For .99 on Booktango it is worth every penny.

1. Know your audience.
As soon as I read those words I thought of several groups I needed to target. But how? I cried into the night. So far I've gone to several "pagan blogs" since the people reading them are my readers. I found one person in Britain who would like to review my book and add it to the list on her blog. I will be doing more.

2. Believe in your work.
Well I do believe in my work and have gone ahead with self-publishing because of my stubbornness in the face of rejection.

3. Set a deadline.
Again not a problem for me.

4. Understand your options.
I think writers are now understanding that they don't have to wait for an agent to legitimize them. The market is wide open.

5. Harness the power of social media.
Okay. this is where we separate the wheat from the chaff. I tweet, I FB and I'm a member of Indie Author's group as well as a fantasy group on FB, I blog, I'm a member of Goodreads and two or more other sites for writers and readers. There is not enough time in a day to do everything I need to do--and sometimes it's discouraging to hear people talking about their sales and wondering, "how do they do that?" I need a publicist but I can't afford it.

6. Put together a marketing plan.
I didn't. I thought that with all the social media stuff I could get some attention. Not true. According to this tip, once people read the book they will tell their friends and so on...I don't think that's happened when I look at my lack of sales. He also says that the book should be in Kindle, Kobo, Nook and IPad...I did do a Kindle version...I've sent my book off to sci-fi fantasy magazines for review but it's up to them if they want to bother...(argh!)

7. Plan an event to launch your book.
Didn't do that. And I don't think it would have made a difference since I would have invited all the people I know...most of them have purchased the book--it's the OTHERS I need now!


My latest plan has been a giveaway on Goodreads and Amazon but so far I've been thwarted every step of the way. Finally figured out that I need to be a member of KDP select on amazon to accomplish this but I need a step by step guide! Maybe I'll find one in the endless pages on the website...Goodreads insists that they don't have my e-mail address and yet I've put it into my profile along with every other detail they've asked for. So far I've filled out the form for a giveaway 4 times. And each time an error box comes up at the top. So I've put my questions into a group thread aptly entitled "Giveaways"

So onward and upward as they say. I've decided that getting into a dither about this doesn't do a lick of good. I have to keep a cool head and a positive attitude to draw good things to me...are you listening universe?

5 comments:

  1. This is not an enviable situation, Nikki, but good luck. At least you're in a small piece of paradise in which to vent your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike--do you self-publish? If so how do you market your book, book(s)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have anything to offer, I'm hoping to learn from you. :) I was thinking about sales a lot for a while, until I had a dream about befriending a young man who had run away from home. Eventually his father found him and brought him home, convincing him that he needed to work to make money to support his lazy father, when the boy had other dreams and goals. I was infuriated.
    I interpreted this dream to be about my attitude toward my book. I'm the father, demanding the book bring income for me. I decided to put it out there and let it go. I will certainly do some marketing, but with hope rather than neediness. It will have to go off and do whatever it wants to do, and I hope to get on to the next one quickly.
    So that that for whatever it's worth to you.
    peace, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. when I'm not in the world here where everything is madness, I can say to myself--"let it be--it will find it's way..." It's hard to stay there, though!

    ReplyDelete