About Me

My photo
working writer wending her way through the labyrinth that is self-publishing

Friday, January 4, 2019

What do YOU love?

Alaska is under attack, all the pristine wilderness could be gone in a grab for oil that may or may not exist. And in a time when we are flush with oil. The powers that be in this country and in Alaska want to sell off the last remaining untouched wilderness, causing irreparable damage to the many species who live and breed there. The Department of the interior has sped through the environmental impact reports, and are not allowing biologists to weigh in. But they will weigh in, using whatever means they can. So many groups are speaking out about this. So many people will be affected.

 Sadly, Senator Lisa Murkowski has placed herself on the side of those who wish to drill. Why? Because she sees economic growth--yes, there will be jobs, temporarily. But once it's done those jobs will be gone and along with them the wilderness will be gone as well. Tourism will dry up, ethical hunting will be no more. The last place where animals roam free in this country will be ruined--forever.

Why do I write about this on a writing blog? Because it relates to your work as an author. What do you care about? Do you want to ignore your heart and write to sell books, or do you want to reach deep inside and draw out the things that make you sing? I care about animals and the planet and all the magic that lies in these places that are now under attack. I include these themes in my books. I would rather sell fewer books and reach those who resonate with me. I am lucky to have the means to do this and not be scrabbling for my dollars. I am very grateful for this.

The other point I would like to make is this: If you do not write from your heart your words will not carry. Your books might be read but they will not be remembered. Readers know if the words are hollow--they know if they ring true. What do you love?

Thanks for reading and keep on writing.

1 comment: