About Me

My photo
working writer wending her way through the labyrinth that is self-publishing

Saturday, December 6, 2014

marketing and book trailers

First of all, here's our Arizona tree! (still need to add red bulbs.) I'll light the candles on the winter solstice!

Back to book topics: I'm still struggling with marketing--I guess it's an endless uphill battle. Facebook has suddenly decided...what? I'm not sure, but all I know is that they've changed things again. I read that it was bad for entrepeneurs. and I guess I fit into that category. I am now spending entirely too much money 'boosting' posts. I don't send these posts to friends and family anymore--now I'm targeting women from late 20's to 60 years of age. Men have enjoyed my books but they seem more geared to women. Does boosting work? I have no idea! I get a lot more 'likes', but that isn't a click and a buy, now is it? (or maybe it is!) I don't know.

 I'm also spending money in other area's regarding my books--I've combined the three books of my trilogies and am selling them CHEAP. But when I went to check on other's prices for their kindle 'boxed sets' I was horrified to find they were practically giving them away! For me these cheaper prices make me turn away. And so I'm asking less than the three and more than one. I'm doing a lot of promoting right now before Christmas. I have an ad in the local paper here in Tucson, but so far people only seem to buy my paperbacks from the metaphysical store, not the bookstores.

Something fun I discovered yesterday on FB was a site where you can make your own video trailer! It's called Animoto and you can do this for free! Unfortunately mine got a bit involved and ended up having their logo spread across the images. And if I wanted it removed I had to upgrade to Pro--same old same old. I did so but before I did I found a coupon on line to lower the cost. I'm posting the link to You Tube here for anyone who hasn't seen it on FB or Twitter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUTpbycdSzk--it's barely 30 seconds long. I plan to make more of these but they will all be pretty short. And if you upgrade to Pro they have lots of music and images to choose from! It's a fun way to market and since I like to watch short videos (emphasis on short) I figure others will too.

With all this fooling around and doing fiverr, (do you know about fiverr?) I've barely had time to do any writing! I found a woman on fiverr to tweet my new trailer with a very short blurb about Gypsy's Secret. I don't know how to link to her but if you're searching, her name is Melrock and she'll tweet your book to god knows how many people for five bucks. There's tons of stuff to choose from on the site.

I seriously need reviews for Gypsy's Secret so if you've read the first two, or even it you haven't, I would really appreciate it! The kindle is .99 for the next couple of days. And if you're part of kindle unlimited it's FREE!

So enjoy the darker days, make soup and tea and READ!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikki,

    I just came across your blog today and really enjoy it. Its obvious you put some care into your writing and it really comes out. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete