About Me

My photo
working writer wending her way through the labyrinth that is self-publishing

Sunday, November 6, 2011

review of A Discovery of Witches

;A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is a page turner from beginning to end--with witches, vampires and demons, it is laced with historical data and written intelligently. It is the first vampire story I've read, although I wouldn't categorize it this way. The two main characters are a witch and a vampire but there is so much more to the story.


A war is brewing, and the lines are being blurred between the species. Up to now humans have been oblivious of the witches, demons and vampires who walk among them. But things are changing. Is there a way for vampires to reproduce? Because if there isn't they may be dying out.


A Discovery of Witches is thick and dense with detail with a compelling and forbidden love story. It reminds me of how I felt about Diana Gabaldon's first book, Outlander. The first in a series, A Discovery of Witches book leaves you wanting more. I can hardly wait for the next one to come out in 2012.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. The only witches I'm familiar with are those I encounter at family reunions. This certainly is a popular genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good read. I think the cover looks great, too (not that I should judge a book by a cover- but it is still nice to look at).

    ~Jess
    Love the Simpsons clips! One of my favorite shows! That Modern Family episode had me in stitches. HILARIOUS!!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete