About Me

My photo
working writer wending her way through the labyrinth that is self-publishing

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

after...

The new year has come and gone, the holiday season has finally ended...then why can't I write? The reason you, me, anyone can't write at this point is that we have allowed circumstances to take over our creativity. We are simply out of practice. Sit down at the computer and begin--that's all it takes. Except...I've been hit with the worst depression in years! Still sorting through it but I know it is old stuff brought up by recent events and a powerful full moon. (Can you help me, Arianrhod?)

The adage about writing a certain amount of words a day really does work. It could be the worst gobbledegook ever but it keeps the creativity going, and invokes the muse even if she's just lurking in the background. I heard an interview today with an author whose name escapes me. He said he didn't start writing until he was 31, as though that was late to come into it. I hate to tell you how old I was. I find myself terrified from time to time contemplating a life without it!

Now is the time to start something--to begin the story you've been thinking about for months and months, maybe even years. You don't have to be so strict about your writing schedule that you end up sabotaging yourself--just set a general word goal and go from there. If you don't make it one day, start the next. Don't be hard on yourself. This is supposed to be fun, remember? Once it becomes a  chore it no longer serves.

I plan (notice I don't say 'I'm going to'...) to go to a writing group on the 15th of this month. I hope I do because I think being in a group of writers will stimulate me. And it is not a critique group, which gives the entire thing a bit more allure. I'll let you know how it goes.

Right now I have to begin writing again. I've started two stories, gone back and forth from first to third person, (settled on first) and know where I want it to go. Whether the characters agree is yet to be found out...

So sit down at your desk and get out pen and paper or open your Word file and BEGIN!

I'm taking my own advice. Happy creating everyone!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment